• Question: What experiments do you do and which one is your favorite!!

Asked by savanna impey on 22 Mar 2024. This question was also asked by gracie simpson, lola.f, auks1maw, seat1bus, Tom A, LilyB.
    • Photo: Hayley Pincott

Hayley Pincott answered on 22 Mar 2024:

I look at human tissue under the microscope to see what is making the patient ill. I don’t do many experiments like other researchers do, but I really enjoy staining slides different colours so it shows different structures and parts on the cells.

• Photo: Martin Ward

Martin Ward answered on 12 Apr 2024:

I do lots of different experiments to make and test crystals that we produce in the lab. My favourite experiment though is when we shine xrays at the crystals we make to help figure out what the crystal structure is (i.e., how the molecules in the crystals are arranged). We can do this using a nice single crystal or with a powder and the experiment is called xray diffraction

• Photo: Sarah-Jane Potts

Sarah-Jane Potts answered on 17 May 2024:

My experiments at the moment are all to do within increasing the size of printable solar pannels that can be made with a t-shirt printer and improving their performance. My favourite experiment so far was to develop a way of making europes largest screen-printed solar panel with the equipment I had and new equipment that I would need to make. It was a really fun challenge and I suceeded. I am now looking for ways to make them larger again and to automate the process to that they can be made faster.